Okay, what is Generation Smart?
It describes a generation of people who grew up with the internet and can use technology in their everyday lives.
Generation Smart also includes those who work remotely.
Today, we will cover:
Before we start, one more thing.
It's an interesting thing when it comes to working remotely is that the coronavirus has broken through cultural and technological barriers, it is completely changing our notions about where work takes place.
In the coming decades, we might see an increase in remote jobs as well as a structural shift away from headquarters office spaces to remote workplaces. We rcommend our article: Remote Working 101 – What Bosses Truly Think About It!
Something like this happened recently when Netflix moved their entire workforce into California's Silicon Valley which allowed them greater flexibility than ever before while still creating success stories out of 100s or 1000s employees working at once!
What is it remote working?
So, you landed on this website to find the best remote working opportunities and to find out how you can hop on the remote work train.
You are in the right place!
First, let's define the term "remote working".
When you are working remotely, your place of work is not in the same geographical location as your employer.
For example, if you live in California and have an office job with a company based out of New York City - this could be considered remote working!
Many of the fortune 500 companies hiring remote workers today to expand their workforces and decrease costs.
A few examples of companies hiring remote workers include Amazon, Apple, Google, and more!
What's the problem with traditional work aka. working in an office?
You go to the office every day for several hours but then come home at night.
The problem with this is that you are spending more time traveling to and from the office per week than one workday - which leads us to our next question.
Do I have enough hours in my workday for remote work?
By adding extra hours into your week, like that spent commuting (and doing other errands), you can increase your productivity by doing more work during off-hours.
A study found that those who worked remotely were able to fit an extra five and half hours of productive time into their schedule every week!
The benefits of remote work.
Okay. You know what remote work is.
Now, let's talk about the benefits of working remotely!
Just as there are several disadvantages to traditional work - remote workers have many advantages over those who do not.
Here's why you should start working remote today:
- Remote workers can concentrate more on their work since they don't have to worry about distractions from co-workers or a noisy office environment that will take away from their productivity.
- Remote workers are usually more motivated to complete their work since they don't have someone breathing down their neck daily or the pressure of having an end-of-month deadline versus one that is flexible.
- Some studies show remote workers tend to be more engaged with what they do at work.
- People who work from home also have more time for family, friends, and themselves as they don't have to spend time commuting.
- They are less stressed and more productive.
- Remote workers are happier, more satisfied with their work/life balance, and have a better sense of self-worth because they can spend time doing what is most important to them.
- Finally, remote workers are more efficient. They get their work done faster because they don't have to deal with office politics, distractions, or having to commute anywhere!
There are many benefits for both the worker and employer when it comes to remote working - so why isn't everyone already doing this?
I think only a few people are doing this instead of everyone because it is not easy to work remotely unless you are completely self-driven.
And this brings us to the challenges of remote work.
The challenges of remote working.
Every great thing comes with its challenges.
Remote working is no different!
There are three main disadvantages to remote work.
- The first is that self-motivation is a big factor. If you cannot work without someone looking over your shoulder, then remote working is not for you.
- To succeed as a remote worker - one has to be able to manage their time and "do more with less". They need to complete tasks at hand on their own rather than relying on others or waiting around until the next day when they have a meeting.
- The last challenge is that remote workers have to be more organized and productive because they don't have anyone watching their every move!
I think if you want to work from home, you need similar skills like someone running their own business - you have to keep track of your time, set deadlines and goals for yourself every day.
How to find a remote job?
You now know what remote work is and the benefits of it.
Now, you're wondering: How do I find a job that allows you to do this?
Great question 🙂
There are many jobs out there where one can work remotely - especially since technology has made it possible for people to be connected from all over the world through email and video chat.
Here is a list of the greatest remote job platforms out there.
- CodeTrails.com – This website has it remote work for developers. Many big-name companies list jobs on this site. You'll find different categories like Ruby on Rails jobs, Senior Developers, Front-End Engineers, and many more! You can also sign up for CodeTrail's newsletter to receive free updates about new jobs that are posted daily! It's also possible to create a profile so you'll get found by potential clients when they search for developers.
- Indeed – I think we've all heard of this website before. Indeed is a great place to start searching for remote jobs! You can search by location and job types - such as telecommuting, freelancing, or customer service. It's free and easy to navigate the site 🙂
- Remote – this job board allows you to search for jobs based on location or keywords. They have tons of jobs in IT, Customer Support, Marketing, and many more! It's a nice site for job seekers who are looking to work remotely. You can search through different categories and tags, or sign up on our email subscription list so that you don't miss any remote positions! The website also provides free access with no hidden fees.
- Hubstaff Talent – this is a great platform for freelancers who want to work remotely. It has over 300 pre-screened companies looking to hire remote workers. You can search for jobs using keywords, location, or type of work. Hubstaff also allows you to create a portfolio of your work. This is nice for freelancers - so that they can have an online presence and show off their skills to potential clients!
- Working Nomads – this website has jobs in various categories including writing, marketing, design, sales engineering, etc. You can also find remote job opportunities on the Working Nomads Facebook page! This website has jobs in different categories such as IT and Customer Support. They also have an email list that you can subscribe to - so that they send out new job listings directly to your inbox each day!
- Virtual Vocations – here's another website that has remote job opportunities. This one is specifically for entry-level jobs, marketing, customer service, etc. They also have a large list of social media jobs which are great if you're looking to work from home! It's free to sign up - you just have to put in your email address and search through the listings.
- Remote.com has job listings for all sorts of work from home jobs! They also have start-up companies looking to hire freelancers or virtual assistants.
Do you have any suggestions? If there are any remote job boards we left out, let us know in the comments!
What you need for a successful remote working.
Okay, now that you have all the basics to get started with remote work - it's time to talk about what you need to be successful at working remotely.
Working from home is an adjustment for most people, but some things can make or break your success as a remote worker!
Here are the top tips and tricks on how to succeed while working remotely:
- Make sure your workspace is organized and has all the supplies you need. It's also important to be self-disciplined when working from home. If you don't have a set schedule, it might be easy to lose track of time!
- You should always put in your best effort while working remotely - this way employers will see how dedicated you are to succeeding at work.
- It's important to show potential employers that you are responsible and reliable when it comes to working remotely. Always check in with your boss if they have any expectations for the workday, or if they need anything from you! If you can communicate well - then this will lead to more job offers 🙂
- Be positive about remote companies/employers - this will make your experience more enjoyable. If you're a glass-half-full type of person, then remote work might be the perfect opportunity for you!
- Create a routine and stick to it as best as possible - so that you have a structure in your day. Some people may need or prefer daily check-ins with their employers while working from home.
- It's also important to stay productive when working remotely - so try not to get distracted by social media or other websites! You can set up blocks of time for certain tasks throughout the day, and then work hard at completing them 🙂 This will help you feel better about your accomplishments each day. If you're feeling overwhelmed because there are too many tasks on your to-do list - then prioritize the most important things and work from there!
How to stay productive while working remotely?
I get this question a lot.
I think most people assume that remote work is less productive than working in an office. But really, it all comes down to how you manage your time and energy throughout the day!
Working from home can be a challenge and there might be some days where you aren't as motivated or focused as other days - which makes sense 🙂 Working remotely doesn't mean that you will be less productive at work - it just means that there might be more distractions.
Here are a few tips to stay productive while working remotely:
- Make sure you have all the supplies and tools that you need to complete your work. Also, set up a productive workspace if possible!
- Try setting goals for yourself throughout the day - so that it's easier to keep track of what needs to be done 🙂 You can also split large tasks into smaller ones which will help with productivity as well.
- Try to avoid getting distracted by social media or other websites! You can use apps like Stayfocusd, Freedom, Google Drive Offline Mode, etc. for this purpose - but it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish 🙂
- Working remotely is an amazing way to manage your time and work from anywhere in the world! There are so many benefits to working from home - but you must keep yourself motivated and productive throughout the day. This way, your employer will see how dedicated you are as a remote worker!
- Finally, make sure you have a positive attitude about your work! If you maintain a good mindset and always put in the effort, then this will lead to more job offers 🙂
Tips for maintaining good health while working from home.
Only a few people think about this factor.
But it is crucial.
How do you stay healthy while working from home?
I know this sounds simple, but staying active throughout the day helps with your health. Every day, I try to walk around the block at least twice - so that my body gets some movement in during the workday!
Also, make sure you are hydrated throughout the day 🙂 This is very important for overall well-being and energy levels. Drinking water will help keep your skin clear as well 🙂
But there's also mental health.
So make sure you take time for yourself! Whether it's going on a walk, reading a book at the library, or taking up yoga - do what makes you happy and relax 🙂
Working from home might sound like fun but it can also be challenging. I think that everyone should find their schedule and routine that works best for them. The most important thing is to stay positive and motivated about your work - no matter where you are!
Remote working can be a challenge, but it is possible. There are many benefits to remote work such as the ability to travel and explore new places while still maintaining your job. However, to maintain good health and productivity you must take care of yourself physically and mentally.
Finding a remote job can be difficult at first, but with the right mindset and determination, you will find a position that fits your needs.
If you're struggling to stay motivated or work from home then I recommend finding what makes you happy! Whether it's going on walks around your block every morning or taking yoga classes - do whatever works best for you!
What are your thoughts about people who work from home?
Do you think that they're less productive than office workers? In what ways can someone stay more focused while at their desk? How important is it to find a routine and schedule that works for them when working remotely?
Let me know in the comments below!